Donuts

A place for idle chatter and discussions on non-paper crafting topics.
Does anyone make their own donuts? Any good recipes?

My husband and I are going to try making some this weekend. Last time I made them from scratch the kids were babies. Don't have a clue on which recipe I used, etc. I found a few online, but was wondering if anyone I know has a good recipe.

Thanks!
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

My mom made really good donuts and she taught me, but that was years ago! I think we took the basic bread recipe and added additional sugar to sweeten the bread. You don't need much if you are going to glaze them. That adds plenty! You make them just like bread, allowing the bread to raise once and then cut your donuts. We didn't have a regular cutter. We used a glass for the outside ring and another thing to cut the centers. I can't think what that thing was. We allowed them to raise again and instead of baking, fried them in hot oil. They need to cool just a little before glazing. Our glaze was simply powdered sugar and a tiny bit of water and we added vanilla too. I know this isn't really all that helpful. Basically they are fried bread. If you like cinnamon, you could add that, but we didn't usually. Now you have made me hungry!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

Marilyn, thank you for the info! My husband said the recipe I found online sounded just like the roll recipe he used last weekend. It probably is.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Paintbrushbrown wrote:Now you have made me hungry!

No kidding...Mamaw's donuts...rolls...pecan rolls... Yummm...
Whispers

Return to Chit Chat