What's Up?

A place for idle chatter and discussions on non-paper crafting topics.
It has suddenly gotten quiet here. Is everyone busy getting ready for Thanksgiving? What are your plans? Traveling? Cooking? Are you a guest or a host?

I am the perennial hostess for our small family of seven, two friends and occasional strays. Last year I had everyone bring something and it was so much easier! I will never go back to doing it all myself.
Ellie

I've been working on turkeys for table decorations for Bug's preschool "Feast." They're almost done. I only have 2 left to finish! Bug has approved of them and agreed that her friends would like them.

This week has been crazy. And I'm apparently battling a headache for the third day in a row. I'm sure glad it is Friday!

We're going to visit PS's family in IN/OH. I'm of mixed feelings about it. It will be great to see his family--and I think it is really important to see them, especially his grandpa (Great-Grandpa to Bug--important for them to see each other too), who is in his upper 80's.
However, it is the 1 day a year that I enjoy cooking... It makes me think of my Mamaw and remember how she taught me to make a turkey...and her rolls (though mine never turn out so well--though hers didn't always!) ...and the family cranberry salad that I've had every year of my life except last year (when we were also at his family's for Thanksgiving). It is kind of sad in that respect.
Not to mention that we're not home on black Friday and so our family tradition of putting up our tree that day will be flummoxed again this year. Hmm...Maybe I can ask GlitterBug if we can put up her tree that day... (Then I'd get to do it twice!!! :lol: That might work!)

Then we're back home for a few weeks of insanity--Christmas parties, birthdays (mine, PS's and 2 friends!!), Christmas concerts (church and Chorale) and then....OFF to AR to see Mom & Dad for Christmas!! That'll be good! Bug hasn't seen her Mamaw since May (in person) and hasn't seen Papaw in person for...a year and a half, I think. And she's only seen her aunt and uncle once in her life. So that will be a very exciting trip for her (though very very long for a 3 year old!!).

I need to get on my shopping too! (I feel like I've waiting until the last minute! I've usually got some done already. And I do have some of Bug's but that's it. Plans for others, but nothing actually purchased. And I've got to try to keep Bug from telling Daddy what she's getting him for his birthday and Christmas! (Last night at dinner she almost spilled the beans on her plans for his birthday present! :lol: We both told her "Shhh!! It is a secret!" Then she remembered. She's too funny!)
Whispers

Things are really crazy around here too! Alexandria invited 2 people from the dorm to join us and Stephen's Mom will be flying up from AZ. We will have dinner (noon) at my sisters with all the family but with all the guests in the house I will make Thanksgiving Dinner at home as well! (Samantha is making my birthday cakes for each location ;) .)

We'll put the tree up sometime during the weekend with everyone here. Both Samantha and Alexandria has finals the 1st week of December, so they are already cramming and stressing out.
Trudeenr

Rich and I just returned from a quick trip to Eau Claire for shopping and just happened to discuss Thanksgiving en route. His health is kind of fragile right now (MS is flaring up), so no long distance travels for us. We talked about grilling on Thanksgiving, weather permitting. The local grocer sells these wonderful items called "Ribs on a Stick." Basically, a nice slab of beef loin, on a handful of wooden skewers (to resemble ribs) that come pre-seasoned and ready to grill. They are SOOOOOO yummy. Tender and moist... and since we slather them with BBQ sauce, they taste like BBQ ribs, but without the mess and without the high fat content. (Great... now I'm hungry!!) Plan to make a pan of a yam casserole, topped with brown sugar, butter and pecans... tastes like dessert not a side dish. Might have other veggies... or might not. We'll see what we are feeling up to.

We also like to put our tree up, lights only, on Thanksgiving. Then a week or so later we add the other decorations and tinsel. We started this years ago because my hubby has about that much energy before he needs a rest. But we both kinda like the simple yet beautiful look of the greenery and lights... with no added bling... for a short time. We also make sure that we have time to enjoy hanging each of our collection of ornaments. We have one to commemorate each year of our our marriage (this year will be 37)... plus a few we received ornaments as gifts. It is fun to remember the good years, and also to revel upon the rough years that we only survived by the amazing grace of God!

Lastly, we enjoy watching a movie or two from our Christmas collection. We have a few versions of The Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Trapped in Paradise (and zany comedy starring Nicolas Cage, Jon Lovitz, and Dana Carvey- a modern day three stooges!), New in Town (starring Renée Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr- a fun love story/comedy with lots of charm), and of course, The Grinch!

Can't wait for Thanksgiving to arrive. (Thanks for asking, Ellie. It's fun to think about it in advance. Hope that all of my WCC friends have safe travels and wonderful, memory-making times with family and/or friends!)
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

At this I'm just trying to get better...I'm fighting a case of bronchitis which won't leave me alone...
I've had this for three weeks and the doctor said it has to run it's course......
I feel like a pharmacy cause I have all of these meds on the bathroom counter...
Just tired of it...

For Thanksgiving I will be going to my middle daughter's house..which she host every year
I need to make my pies but I have no energy at this moment....I need to make them by next wednesday
I need to make 2 sugar pie, 2 apple pie and this year I'm also making a butterscoth pie...
I usually make the dinner rolls but this year I'm going to buy store brand.... also need to make a fruit salad....
Vince will go to the store Saturday and get what I need for some of the pie but then he'll have
to go again Tuesday night...(such a great guy he is)...

Love reading what everyone is planning for Thanksgiving....
terrie

I just haven't been very good company this week. The loss of this little baby has hit me really hard right in the heart. Not only is the family/families involved very close friends and church "family," but the death of a baby always bring me back to the pain of the miscarriages I had long ago. Sheri told me when she was quite little that my grandma, her "Hoo Hoo" would only be happy in heaven if she had a job to do and she just knew that Hoo Hoo was rocking our babies. I took great comfort in that and I know that my mom joining them adds another rocker to the group.

The funeral is tomorrow and I have my dish ready for the funeral dinner that will follow. The parade is in the afternoon and our church serves the community soup and sandwiches after the parade. So, tomorrow I won't be able to be around much either.

Christmas is coming really quickly. I am not in panic mode, but trying to hurry to get everything done. Sarah and her husband will be coming here for Thanksgiving dinner. Sarah loves to keep the family traditions, so games are in order for the day.

I haven't been a very good challenger this week and I apologize for that. There is another coming up soon and I will try to be more engaged in that one. Keep working on boxes. You won't be sorry! They will come in handy!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

We went to my sweet niece's house last night for her Birthday/Thanksgiving celebration. Her and her life partner really had a wonderful spread of food. They made 4 different kinds of pies, turkey, ham, all the trimmings. We had such a fun time. Lots of family and friends we hadn't seen for awhile.

For Thanksgiving we are traveling to my oldest daughters house to help her with the move to her new store. She renovated a old darling building for her shop and her, her hubby, and my grandson will live in the upstairs. We will prouably just go out for dinner. My middle daughter is visiting us today as she has to work on Thanksgiving. My youngest daughter will not be coming down from Wyoming as we are expecting a huge snowstorm and her husband is on call for the railroad.

When they started having black Friday on Thankgiving it ruined it for us. My middle daughter always had us for Thanksgiving but now she has to leave and be to work by 4:00. She manages an ULTA store.

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful holiday!!!
Terrie, get better. Hubby has had this crap too...

Hugs to all.
Jane
Jane from Utah

I think it is just horrible that some stores are going to be open on Thanksgiving. I wish no one would go so it wouldn't be worth it to be open. We are already to the point where Thanksgiving is not a big deal and if this keeps up it will become just another ordinary day. Thanks for letting me rant.

OK, time for me to hop off the soap box. Thanks for sharing your plans and celebrations.
Ellie

Sorry, I've been MIA as things are crazy here. The kids are now gone, so we are trying to redo their rooms, but have to do it in order. The rush part is that everyone is coming here for Christmas, so we have to be done by then. Also, my blood sugars went horrendously off track this week, so have been feeling pretty awful.

For Thanksgiving, we go to either my family (all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) or my in-laws. This year it is the in-laws. Our son is coming over and going with us and my daughter will show up for dinner, but she doesn't know if her husband will go, or not. His family is having friends over and didn't actually invite them, so it's not that they're missing out on anything that way.

Anyway, we are having my niece, brother and daughter's birthday party on Sunday evening, so I'll be taking something to help with that meal. Had to come up with a present for my brother, as I hadn't gotten that far, yet. Not to mention Christmas. I've gotten most everything for our family, but the parents, grandparents, niece and nephew, etc. I haven't even gotten to thinking of, yet.

Today I am working on putting together 40 Christmas cards. Found I actually had just over 30 made, but I'll still be short. However, I'm getting these done, and then I'll know exactly how many more I need before I make them. Yikes!
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Sounds like everyone is busy. I hope the people that haven't been feeling well are in top form and hope all the cooks out there have it under control.

My holiday is going to be very low key and easy this year. My brother and SIL are going to Albany so I will be alone. I could beg an invitation to other family, but we have a family party on Saturday for my uncle's 90th so I've decided to go see the new Hunger Games movie and get some Chinese food and relax.

Be safe and have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Elaine
eoconnell

Next

Return to Chit Chat