Using dryer sheets with cutting dies

Share interesting projects and tutorials you've found. Please link and give credit where it is due!
What is the wax paper trick?

Ellie any suggestions for me here? What type of dryer sheet did you use?

I also left the lady who did that video a comment, so she might have some suggestions. She thinks the brand matters...I can't see why it should, but...

My machine is very "tight." The first time I used it I thought I was going to break the handle trying to turn it. We (Mom) called Stampin Up (where it was bought) and they just said it was calibrated tightly and told me to turn hard until it went through. It didn't break and as I've used it it is a bit easier to turn (usually). So I'm with you, Susie--I've never needed a shim.
Whispers

Sheri, in the video she cut the paper/card first, then ran it through on top of the dryer sheets. Is that what you did?

As for the wax paper, you put your die on top of a piece of wax paper (cutting side down) and the wax paper on your paper/card in whatever sandwich your machine uses and cut, then the wax paper comes out of the die easily, with the paper/card usually just sliding right out. (I cut down, but if you cut going up, you'd flip it.)
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Golda wrote:Sheri, in the video she cut the paper/card first, then ran it through on top of the dryer sheets. Is that what you did?

I did. I did it just like she did.
It also somewhat discolored my cardstock...no, that's not the right word... I'll get a picture.

DieCutWDryerSheet.JPG
DieCutWDryerSheet.JPG (152.78 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

Can you see there what I mean?
Whispers

Yikes! I wonder what happened that was so different. Well, try using the wax paper and see if that works for you. At least that shouldn't affect your card stock/paper in any way.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Sheri, I'm having trouble interpreting your photo. Is that your die cut? Are we looking at the right side or the wrong side of the cut piece? Is the dryer sheet stuck on it?

I just used cheap store brand (HyVee) dryer sheets. I used three of them folded in half. If your Big Shot is really tight this might just be too thick for your machine. ( Mine is on the loose side and I frequently use a shim.) Try it again with only one dryer sheet folded in half.

If the dryer sheet thing still doesn't work for you, try the waxed paper instead, Sheri. You will still have to do some poking to clean out the die but the die cut comes out of the die more easily.
Last edited by Ellie on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellie

I gave this a try. My sheets were really scented but it still worked. Makes the card smell lovely! :lol: My machine is not tight but not lose either. Gonna try it some more with different sheets and see if this matters.
Jane
Jane from Utah

Ellie wrote:Sheri, I'm having trouble interpreting your photo. Is that your die cut? Are we looking at the right side or the wrong side of the cut piece? Is the dryer sheet stuck on it?

That is the die cut--it is on kraft paper. The center is the typical color. Around the edge you can see where the die was. That is the right side. The wrong side is even worse.
No, the dry sheet is not still on it. That is just the die.

I think the discoloration might have been from when I ran the sheets through with just the die first--and it got on both cutting plates. I think if that continues to be a problem I'd need to clean the plates between uses so it wouldn't cause discoloration.

Ellie wrote:I just used cheap store brand (HyVee) dryer sheets. I used three of them folded in half. If your Big Shot is really tight this might just be too thick for your machine. ( Mine is on the loose side and I frequently use a shim.) Try it again with only one dryer sheet folded in half.

I tried it first with the 4 (folded in half--so 8 layers) she said to use. Then I tried it with 2 (folded in half--4 layers)--it did the same thing that way. And the die cut through the sheets, even with the thicker 8 layer set.

The lady (Deb Valder) said (when I commented on the youtube video--though the responses weren't helpful) that you don't want it to cut through the sheets. Which would make me think you'd need to use more. But that could then start making it too thick to get through my machine. She also thinks that the brand makes a difference.

I commented asking about it on Karen Burniston's video too, but haven't gotten a response there at all.

Ellie wrote:If the dryer sheet thing still doesn't work for you, try the waxed paper instead, Sheri. You will still have to do some poking to clean out the die but the die cut comes out of the die more easily.

I'll have to get some wax paper first...I don't think I currently have any. I might...I'll have to check.

Thanks for the tips ladies!! I'd really like to get this "working" for me. I have a few dies that I've had issues with that this could help me make better use of!
Whispers

Previous

Return to Look what I found!