Gearing up!

As Ellie reminded us in the Monday Pick-Me-Up section, the crop does (in fact) start next week! Some how my brain was wanting to add in another week. Silly brain! :lol: I'm glad I'm nearly finished with my sample cards!

We should start gearing up and thinking spring right? (Especially Terrie and our other New England friends who are still shoveling themselves out. (Think warm, Terrie!! Our warm and fuzzy thoughts are with you!) )

So lets get some conversation going shall we? :)

What is the first sign of spring that you notice?

Here in TN, the first things I usually notice are the leaves and then buds and blooms of the daffodils, closely followed by the hyacinths and then the tulips. I love it when I'm walking on campus and do a double take as I see the yellow and white daffodils and the pink and purple hyacinths showing their color among the otherwise drab beds. No matter how gray and dreary the day it always cheers my heart and lifts my spirits.

What types of things do you notice in your area of the world?
Whispers

Crocus pushing their beautiful faces out through the slushy ground under my front window. ALWAYS thrills my heart!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Green reappearing on the trees and lots of robins looking for worms in my yard. :D
Ellie

Ummmm, some of the plants flower in spring, though my rosemary has had blossoms on it most of the "winter" that we didn't get. My lettuce has started sprouting, too. There are some trees along the road on my way to work that tend to blossom in spring. I haven't noticed the pink, white and purple on them yet, though it is already in the low 80s. Last year they didn't blossom much, due to the weird weather. Hopefully they will this year though the weather was even more unusual.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

I don't have as much snow as Terrie but we got our fair share. One week after the storm that hit Terrie we had a snowstorm that landed 19 1/2" on us and then two days later we got more. So I am sitting with at least 22" of snow outside and wishing spring would hurry up and get here!

I know spring has arrived when the birds chirping between 4 and 5 am wake me up! That's the first sign of spring for me....next would be the green buds on the trees.
SusieQ

My crocus have been blooming for 2 weeks! I have lots of daffodil, tulips, and snow drops peaking up through the soil.
Trudeenr

My crocus have been blooming for 2 weeks! I have lots of daffodil, tulips, and snow drops peaking up through the soil.
Trudeenr

I'm confident that I will see spring in March...once the warmer weather gets here this snow will melt...
To me spring is here when we go back to the campground and clean up our site...
I know which is worst shoveling snow or raking leaves.....lol

Susan, I hope you are well in this crazy weather....19 1/2 snow in one dropping is a lot
take care my friend...
terrie

What do you do to prepare for spring?

I usually start some seeds inside--basically flowers. I have a brown thumb, but I really do like flowers so I try! :)
Last year I had Bug help me, but our seeds did not do well. I also endeavor to prune/contain my rose bushes. (ouch)
Whispers

I hear you, Sheri. I started some vegetable seeds in the house last year and it was a total bust. I think I started too early for one thing and I also need more light. Gardeners are eternal optimists; always looking forward to the next year. I am mentally preparing for spring by thinking about which vegetables I will grow this year. I'm getting real tired of fighting squash bugs so probably no squash this year.

As soon as the weather turns a little warm I uncover the flowerbed so the perennials can come up. I'm ready-come on Spring!!
Ellie

Next

Return to Think Spring Crop -- February 18-21, 2015