Gearing up!

Not much to preparing for Spring here. Hoping I can still fit into my capris and watering the garden frequently is about it. Last year I only had 1 thing come up and it was a zucchini plant. I have normally had great luck with them, but I didn't even get 1 zucchini from it. There were some really weird bugs around the plant, so that may have had something to do with it, though I didn't even see a start to one. In fact, I'm not even sure I saw a blossom. Like I said, weird. The plant was quite good sized, too. Oh well.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

First sign of spring around here is flocks of birds. We must be on a migration path because it's a bit like Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" around here. Then we start getting bulbs popping up (should be any day now) and grass greens up. Ahh, spring!

I don't do much to prepare for spring either. Like Golda, I pray my capris still fit and I wash windows to let the sun come in. I do plant some flowers every year, but I've given up on vegetable gardens. Between the bugs, deer and heat, it's way more work than the results are worth. I may try a couple of container gardens this year just to have some tomatoes, but I'm a big supporter of our local farmer's market!
Elaine
eoconnell

I wash my one window to the world so that I can watch the woods turn green!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

Elaine, you are so right! I wanted a vegetable garden when I retired two years ago. Holy Cow, we have spent a small fortune on that garden! I figure the tomatoes must be worth $5 each :lol: It would definitely be cheaper to buy produce than to grow it. It's really just another hobby for me; keeps me busy and give me some good outdoor exercise.
Ellie

The seeds I started indoors actually did quite well. They even did okay when I started moving them outside. The problem was remembering to plan them! :lol: I just keep forgetting to do it! Then they get all root bound... Poor things.

I haven't done a vegetable garden--not since the one we (as a family) did when I was a kid. I did have a tomato plant in a pot. It didn't do as well as I had hoped. PS is a tomato fiend so I had hopes of not having to buy him tomatoes and just going out and picking them...but alas, it was not to be. (Bug on the other hand swears she doesn't like tomatoes. Loves things with tomato sauce though--spaghetti...chili... I keep avoiding telling her that the sauce is made from tomatoes. LOL! I think it is a texture thing though.)

So tell me...Do you have a "traditional" spring time activity that you do/participate in?

I've been thinking of Easter this morning... I love going out and flying my kite on Easter. It makes me think of my grandma. She always got us kites (hid during our Easter egg hunt--you had to find your own) and we'd fly them every year (with varying degrees of success. I was so excited last year to share this experience with Bug. She had her very own kite last year. Mommy helped her fly it while our bachelor buddies who were in town for the holiday weekend flew my little butterfly kite and my Mickey Mouse kite. Maybe I'll see about getting a new kite this year... We'll see! :)
Whispers

Our big spring event is a joint birthday party for our son, daughter and daughter-in-law. Their days are 3/12, 3/28 and 4/11. I refuse to have three parties and an Easter gathering in that short a time period so we have the annual Birthday Bash. The big kids are all close in age and enjoy celebrating together so it works out great. I haven't chosen a date yet but Easter sounds like a good day to me for a big celebration.
Ellie

Sheri, I am totally with Bug on the tomatoes. I HATE tomatoes, but love salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc. Partly it is texture, and partly it is taste. My mom was sure my brother and I would grow to love tomatoes, so she made us each try one once a year while we were growing up. I think my brother can occasionally stand some tomato on a burger, but I still can't. I have a friend that is the same way about tomatoes.

As for a celebration, we have a Butterfly Bash at church just before Resurrection Sunday (Easter - church won't use the usual name). We spend the night before Easter at my in-laws, and usually spend Easter with my extended family (grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins and their families). May is a big birthday month, too.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

We drive the "loop" to see the dogwood and redbud in bloom. The woods are just full of blossoming trees. I love them!!!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

What is your favorite "springy" color to use on your cards?

I think mine is probably pink. I tend to use a lot of pink anyway. Or perhaps lavender.
Whispers

I went shopping yesterday with Linda Jo and Mrs. Jones and bought some darling spring papers in anticipation of the crop. They are yellow, turquoise, pink and orange. i can't wait to use them! I'd sayI generally think of pink and yellow the most for Spring.
Ellie

PreviousNext

Return to Think Spring Crop -- February 18-21, 2015