Step Right Up!

Step right up for a great time! The State Fair starts tomorrow and it promises to be exciting! There are some great events planned so grab your supplies and head on out. You don't want to be late!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

What are some of your favorite things to see/do at the fair?
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

I love to see the animals! Love them all....
Jane
Jane from Utah

Eating all the food...well, when I was a kid anyway! Now, I like to see all the craft exhibits.
Trudeenr

Indian Fry Bread!!!!! Also love the rides, but no one will go on them with me, anymore, so we just wander around, see the animals, crafts, etc.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

I haven't been to a State Fair in over 50 years! My parents took me to the Illinois State Fair several times when I was in grade school. I've always lived in Missouri but the Illinois Fair was closer to St. Louis than the Missouri one. The only reason we went was so that my dad could go to the sprint car races. ( I was the son my daddy never had.) We took a picnic, walked around a little bit and then went to the race. I remember seeing jars of green beans and pretty quilts. I'm sure I had Cotton Candy because I loved it as a kid. As soon as I was old enough to stay at home alone, I refused to go anymore. The Missouri State Fair is only an hour away from our home town but we have no desire to go. It's always in August when it is incredibly hot and humid and we are just not "farmish" people. I'm just a born and raised city girl. That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to the State Fair Crop and all of the challenges. I will have a game for you tomorrow. See you at the fair!!
Ellie

Like Ellie, I didn't like the hot daytime temps at the fair. So... usually went in the evening and enjoyed the rides and the concerts. My favorite memory was the 1986 Sioux Empire Fair in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The Monkees where celebrating their 20th Anniversary Reunion tour and I started a group wave when Mickey Dolenz came on stage. (I always like him better than Davey... well, no... I liked Davey, too! And Peter and Michael! I guess that I was a groupie that never grew up!)
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Wow! The Monkees! I remember my sister had records that she listened to all the time. I liked Herman's Hermits, too.

The thing I remember best about the Indiana State Fair from when I was a kid was Smokey the Bear. He gave me a coloring book and a fire fighter's badge! I was all that! My mom had a booth and we were allowed to go only one time. Our uncle took us on the rides. It was so exciting. I was probably 4.

As an adult I was a judge for several years. I judged the decorative painting section in various categories. While wearing the judges' pin they gave us, we were treated like VIPs. It was fun!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

I went to the state last year fair for the first time in 33 years - my daughter was an infant, that's the only reason I know that. We took the grandkids and they had a blast on the rides. I loved seeing all the displays; you know, the giant pumpkins, huge watermelons, flower arrangements....
Elaine
eoconnell

It has been a while since I've been to a state fair. I used to go with Mom when she was judging (she'd get a pass for herself and free tickets). By that time I was old enough to enjoy some of the exhibits. I especially liked looking for my mom's entries and seeing what ribbons she got. I also liked "elephant ears" and these tasty frozen-ish lemonade things they had--always refreshing when it was hot!

So far as I know TN doesn't have a state fair... Or even really county fairs (that I've heard of). We do have a regional fair and it is only about a 20 minute drive. We've gone the last few years--my hubby has entered the photography open class. I'm proud to say that two years ago he got a blue! And then last year a red and a white. I hope he enters again this year. I think it is good for him.
Last year Bug enjoyed riding a couple of the little "kiddie" rides. I imagine she'll want to do more this year! She did also love seeing the baby animals. (They have 1 barn that is a nursery and have babies of all kinds! The ducklings are my favorite because they have a little water slide that they go around. It is too cute!)
Whispers

Next

Return to State Fair Crop--August 5-8, 2015