Step Right Up!

TN does have a state fair; I was thinking that was un-American! I think you need to check it out (maybe some other year though) http://tnstatefair.org/
Elaine
eoconnell

That doesn't really surprise me, Elaine. I just never looked. I figured if there was one it was likely in Nashville. That's still (a minimum) of 5 hours from us though, so it doesn't seem likely that we'd go.
Whispers

The duck slide sounds cute. What are elephant ears?
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Golda, I think elephant ears and Indian fry bread are much the same. It is a bread that is fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

Also similar to funnel cakes... Though around here the funnel cakes are sprinkled with powdered sugar not cinnamon & sugar.
Whispers

Ooh, fried dough! My grandma used to make it for us; pizza fritte. Oh fond memories.

I have to say, that I made a big step unpacking some of my craft stuff and maybe by tomorrow I can do something other than work. It's been a rough couple of weeks around here. My grandson went in for outpatient surgery on Friday and had an emergency appendectomy instead. He got out today and I'm on babysitting detail for at least the next 2 days. Not sure how crafty I'm going to be, but I'll give it a shot.
Elaine
eoconnell

Oh, Elaine, I hope he is healing quickly. I'll be praying for him. I can't wait to see some of your cards, too.

Speaking of prayers. . .Marilyn, your appointment is tomorrow, right?
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Yes. My appointment is at 9:00. I am trying not to be nervous. Mostly I'm ok.
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

I have to tell you all a funny story. When we lived in Indiana, I ran an art / teaching studio. I taught several classes--some for adults, but many for children. I had one little girl who started with me when she was 4. Each year I told ALL my students that it was a requirement of class that they enter the county fair. Most of the adults didn't, but some did and all the kids did. Those who weren't in 4-H were entered into the open class where those in charge expected them and greeted them warmly. We did have a few kids, who were from another county and they did things differently over there. There were at least a hundred entries from kids, broken down by age groups.

We had done our best to prepare this little girl, telling her that not everyone could win a ribbon. She was so excited and I was sure she wasn't getting the whole "you may not get a ribbon thing." When Sheri and I got there, we found one of her pictures right away with a blue ribbon hanging from it. A former student was there and was excited to find a blue on one of her paintings, too. Each of these kids were still searching for another entry. Sheri found them side by side on the very front row...little Felicia's with a blue, a red, white and blue, and a huge purple rosette! The other girl had a blue and rosette, as well. They were so excited. The newspaper people were there and Felicia got her picture in the paper as the youngest to win a championship award. The next year we were telling Felicia, "You don't ALWAYS get three ribbons at ther fair!"
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

Not quite how I remember it, but close.

I have to say though, I wish you all could have seen the expression on Mom's face when she saw that huge ribbon on that tiny little girl's picture! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It was great! And she had no idea what it meant. She just knew there were her favorite colors.
The newspaper man was rather shocked too. He sees her fingering the ribbon and at first looks like "Why are they letting her play with it?!" Then he kind of asks me "Is that hers?" And I told him, "Yes. Yes, it is!" Then he was asking her parents if he could take their picture. It was great.

The other student might I add was a teenager (and an excellent artist).
Whispers

PreviousNext

Return to State Fair Crop--August 5-8, 2015