The Quilt The winner... LINDA JO

I am posting this tonight as I am visiting my daughter this weekend in Wyoming. Tomorrow we are going up towards Yellowstone. I don't think I will have time in the morning.

Have you ever wandered into a building at the fair and happen to see all the quilts that are on display. This is one of my favorite things to do at the fair. So many to see and all are so unique and beautiful! So your challenge is to create a card that reminds you of a quilt. You can do a pattern, stitching, anything that relates to sewing a quilt. You can find lots of examples on Pinertest.
Here is my example card...

Players
1. Ellie
2. Marilyn
3. Barry
4. Trudi
5. Kathy
6. Linda Jo
7. Koren
8. Golda
9. Sheri
Attachments
DSCN0514.JPG
DSCN0514.JPG (116.97 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Last edited by Jane from Utah on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jane
Jane from Utah

Jane, the seeing the quilts is one of the few things I remember about being at the state fair, Your example card is just lovely! I love the soft pink and the pretty quilt pattern. I can't wait to see all of our quilted creations.
Ellie

Oh! I know what I want to do. I wonder if I can pull it off! I will try!!! See ya on the flip side!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

What a beautiful example, Jane! Hmmm, as soon as you mentioned seeing quilts at the fair, one I saw a few years ago popped into my mind. Now, will I be able to figure out how to do something similar?
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Oh wow, Jane! That is beautiful!

Bug and I have a big day--meeting at her teachers at preschool and have a special "date" on our last Friday of freedom. Hopefully I'll have some time to play this afternoon.
Whispers

Jane, what a gorgeous card! I adore your little strawberry embellishment too.
Elaine
eoconnell

I had so much fun with this that I made two cards while I had the papers cut. It's the log cabin pattern and I think they turned out pretty well. The paper is called Farm Girl by October Afternoon.
Attachments
IMG_1955.jpg
IMG_1955.jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_1953.jpg
IMG_1953.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Ellie

This is my favorite quilt block. I decided to make one of these. Keep in mind that I have very LITTLE quilting experience, but that wasn't going to stop me. I was hand piecing it and having such a good time. When I was putting in the filler pieces I was having a really hard time. I asked the lady at the quilting store if I was doing something wrong and she looked at me like I had two heads. She said, "Sweetheart, who is your teacher?" Teacher? I didn't have a teacher. It was then she told me that I should have pieced it in lines, not little flowers like the name, Grandmother's Flower Garden, implies! I had only made about 50 of these flowers, each having the green leaves all around. It was for a prayer shawl with time for loads of prayers to have gone into it. I never finished it, although the piecing is done. I just don't know what to do next. Oh well...maybe it will end up as an heirloom that someone will take to a pro to have finished!
Attachments
Quilt Challenge.jpg
Quilt Challenge.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

Ellie, I love the log cabin!!! I made a runner for Sheri using that pattern. I wouldn't put my quilting in a fair. I don't want to hear the snickers in the background! I spent some time in the Amish area in Ohio and saw so many beautiful quilts. Quilting is really big here too. I tried it, but I am just not very good at it. I have Grandma's (mom's side) quilting frame and Great Grandmother's (dad's side), too. I need to quilt something on them, but... I don't think I will live that long. Not that I am planning to leave this world, just that it would take that long!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

Marilyn, you are hilarious! However, I love that square/pattern. Both of my grandmothers quilt(ed) and the one that is still alive taught my daughter how to do it when she was somewhere between 8 and 10. Apparently, my daughter is naturally gifted at both quilting and sewing. I have never tried a quilt, nor do I have any plans to. Hey, I can sew when necessary, cook pretty decently (though I don't do fancy), bake well, make cards and candles. That is plenty.

Ellie, that is a beautiful pattern! I'm glad you did 2.

Marilyn, I really like your card, too. (Not sure if you could tell from my above rambling.)
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Next

Return to State Fair Crop--August 5-8, 2015