Saturday Challenge - "Welcome Home"

My challenge, based on the line, “Oh, I've got to go home…” is to create a card that reminds you of a holiday tradition that you celebrated at your home as a child, or in your home now.

So, pour a cupful (or glassful) of your favorite beverage, and pull out those photo albums (or spend some time running through the snapshots of time you carry in your mind.) Then, show us what makes the holidays welcoming to you!

Here is my card… and the tradition(s) that inspired it.
My Mom loved to decorate for the holidays. She had little things all through out the house. And often we’d find them long after Christmas was passed. (Including the wreath on the front door that was quickly loosing its needles!) She also loved sending Christmas cards. In her later years, she started stamping her cards. She preferred cards with cute animals or a sweet little nativity scene. And loved, loved, loved to color with markers. (One Christmas I gave her a few packs of LePlumes, and she was one happy stamper!)

Note, I used this pinterest photo for inspiration, but forgot to pay attention to the dimension of my door. So… it is Hobbit sized! The door handle is a plastic button with the shaft cut off.
Here is the photo I used http://www.handcraftedbyhelen.blogspot. ... reath.html

You’ll have until noon on Tuesday to complete the challenge. I’ll then draw a name from entries and that person will receive a small prize from me.
1. Terrie
2. Marilyn
3. Linda Jo
4. Koren
5. Elaine
6. Barry
7. Golda
8. Ellie
9. Trudi
Last edited by MrsAsperin-Kathy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Kathy, what a fun challenge. I really like this one and can't wait to hear all the stories behind the cards. Your card is really cute and I love all the little details.
Elaine
eoconnell

Nice challenge, Kathy. I have an idea right now. Who knows if I will remember it by the time I get home? Ah, the joys of getting older...
Ellie

Great challenge. Love your memories and your card.
Linda Jo

Wow Kathy talk about going back in time...I like it great challenge
I have so many memories...
terrie

Really fun challenge Kathy and your card is just awesome!!!
Jane
Jane from Utah

Kathy, it is a beautiful door! Maybe it's not Hobbit sized, but one of those giant doors you see on some mansions. :D Either way, it is lovely and the story behind it is very touching. Thank you for sharing your mom with us.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

When I was younger (which it's been very long time ago) both of my brothers would go into the wood and cut off branches from the pine trees....bring them home to my mother...she would cover the kitchen table and set up for making wreaths....my mother and uncle would make dozen of them with all kind of embellishments.
Then my brothers would sell them in the neighborhood....One brother would sell them on our street and the other brother would sell them on my uncle street...so when we would walk up and down the street we would see these beautiful wreaths.
So when I saw this wreath on the fence it made me think of all the time the wreaths were made at home before Christmas time.
Attachments
11 14 2015 Memories Crop IMG_20151114_105616255_HDR.jpg
11 14 2015 Memories Crop IMG_20151114_105616255_HDR.jpg (185.92 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Last edited by terrie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terrie

What a wonderful memory Terrie! That is a beautiful card, too. I love how the shape of the layers adds to the look of the wreath, as well.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Terrie, that's wonderful! Both your memory and your card are tender.
Elaine
eoconnell

Next

Return to Baby, It's Cold Outside Crop--November 11-14, 2015