Wizard of Oz Crop Chatter

I hope you are all ready for our journey to OZ because we leave tomorrow morning! The weather in Kansas, our starting point, is pretty good so you won't need any winter gear.

Has everyone seen the original movie? (Alas, Larry has never seen it..what?!) When I was a kid, it was on TV yearly on the day before Easter. I watched it every year while I was jonesing for Easter candy. So, I've probably seen it 8 times, give or take. My other connection is that we got a Cairn terrier in the 80's. When people asked "What's a Cairn terrier?" I would say "Toto was a Cairn." Everyone knows what Toto looked like. (Again, everyone but Larry!) My Pepper looked just like Toto and she was so sweet!! I still miss her even though she has been gone a long time.

How about you? Any special memories connected with The Wizard of OZ?
Ellie

Ellie, it was on every year for us too and I've probably seen it 30 (maybe more!) times. Never get tired of it and Somewhere Over The Rainbow is one of my all time favorite songs. Those darn flying monkeys still scare me! I guess my only connection to the movie is I wish I had a brain....

I guess I had better take a photo of my card since I'm hosting tomorrow!
Elaine
eoconnell

I'm pretty sure I've seen the original at least once, but it was so long ago, I don't remember too much. I do love the song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". That was one of the earlier songs I learned on the piano and played for years.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Fun little bit of trivia for you about "Somewhere over the rainbow" from the movie.

"Over the Rainbow" was nearly cut from the film; MGM felt that it made the Kansas sequence too long, as well as being too far over the heads of the children for whom it was intended. The studio also thought that it was degrading for Judy Garland to sing in a barnyard. A reprise of the song was cut: Dorothy sang it to remember Kansas while imprisoned in the Witch's castle. Judy Garland began to cry, along with the crew, because the song was so sad."

Thank goodness that this song remained in the film as it is ranked #1 by the American Film Institute in 2004 on the 100 Greatest Songs in American Films list.
Barry
Prince of Paper

I remember seeing it every year too...
One year we went to visit relatives and the movie was on...when Mom and Dad said it was time to leave we were not too happy.....BUT......we ended by watching it all because when my Dad said his good-byes it would take at least an hour or so...
Yes, those flying monkey were scary.....
terrie

A couple of years ago we were lucky enough to be at a Joyce Di Donato performance with the Kansas City Symphony that was being filmed by PBS. The process was very interesting and fun to witness. Keep in mind that we are in Missouri but just across the state line from Kansas. So, we are a bi-state area & mentality. Well, after the official PBS filming was finished, Joyce surprised us all by singing Over the Rainbow. The crowd went nuts!! I have to admit that she did such a heartfelt rendition (she is from this area) that I cried while she sang. It was just awesome!
Ellie

Yep, seen the movie lots and listened to the book on tape (cd) last year! (Girl Scout Camp theme was Wizard of Oz last year, so I brushed up on the story again!)

A couple of years before my Grandma Raymond died, she was complaining how her joints ached. One afternoon I was browsing in an antique store and found a little metal oil can. I bought it for her, and told her that when her joints ached because she had forgotten to oil them! I still have the oil can displayed in my china hutch!
Trudeenr

Thanks for the educational trivia Barry! Very interesting!

Trudi, that is a precious memory!

Anybody read Wicked? I understand the musical is fantastic, but I struggled with the book version. I really, really wanted to like it.
Elaine
eoconnell

What a sweet memory, Trudi!

Elaine, I read the book then saw the musical. As you know, it's a totally different slant on the story. It has it's own merit but it doesn't have the charm of Wizard of Oz.
Ellie

OK All I know is that those little munchkins singing follow the yellow brick road scared me.And so did those crazy monkees.LOL
I definitely did not like that wicked witch either. Especially when she said "I'LL GET YOU MY PRETTY AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!!! If you think about it this was a very scary story!!!! LOL LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS OH MY!!!!
Linda Jo

Next

Return to We're Off to See the Wizard--February 17-23, 2016