Christmas is Coming!

Moderator: Golda

Many years ago I would of decorated the house with tradition color now I decorate my house with lot of snowman...
Every year one of sister comes and visit me during the Spring or early Summer and she always brings me a snowman.
Also a must have is a Canadian meat pie...

My favorite treat would Molasse Cookies....my daughter makes the best, I like them with raisins and walnuts so she makes me a special batch.

I want to say this is so much fun reading everyone's answers....Golda this was a great idea.
terrie

My must have decoration:
the wooden ornaments that have been made by my Dad, Granddad, and my sister...most were cut out on the scroll or fret saw but a couple are hand carved.

My favorite treat:
chocolate covered cherries...homemade! We would get together in Oct and make an afternoon of making them. We take maraschino cherries with a dough and then dip them in chocolate box them up and wait...forever! The juice from the cherries would turn the dough into liquid and presto...owey goey goodness... (of course, I'd eat a lot of them before they had "melted") We rarely make them now...my mom and sister are allergic to chocolate and my nephew-in-law and his son are allergic to multiple colors of food color dyes.
Trudeenr

Trudeenr wrote:My must have decoration:
the wooden ornaments that have been made by my Dad, Granddad, and my sister...most were cut out on the scroll or fret saw but a couple are hand carved.

My favorite treat:
chocolate covered cherries...homemade! We would get together in Oct and make an afternoon of making them. We take maraschino cherries with a dough and then dip them in chocolate box them up and wait...forever! The juice from the cherries would turn the dough into liquid and presto...owey goey goodness... (of course, I'd eat a lot of them before they had "melted") We rarely make them now...my mom and sister are allergic to chocolate and my nephew-in-law and his son are allergic to multiple colors of food color dyes.

What an interesting recipe!
Elaine
eoconnell

Oh, these treats sound amazing! Elaine, thanks for the recipe for yours.

I know it's really late but. . .
Giftcards, yay, or nay?

I like making most of my presents, but for the "teens" I generally get gift cards, or cash. That way they can choose their own present and have the fun of shopping (ha!), too.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

For sure Gift Cards and I agree for teen agers gift cards all around...
I ask my grand children for a Christmas list and on the list is Gift Cards to whatever they are into …
terrie

Sorry this is so late, which means tomorrow will probably be late, too.

When do you put up your tree?

My daughter's birthday is Dec 8th, so we always had to wait until after we celebrated her birthday to put up the tree. I still wait until mid December, but she decorates her house right after Thanksgiving. :roll:
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Gift cards...nay unless I have to send the present and they didn't give me an Amazon wishlist to work off of! (My family draws names and it's required to give a list at the time of the drawing.)

Thanksgiving weekend is when the tree goes up...Normally it's because that's when the most family is gathered together but also it's less that I have to do during the week before all the other holiday parties, my niece's birthday (Dec 3), and Katrina's birthday (Dec 10th).
Trudeenr

Gift cards are a yes, more and more as the years go on. Easy to mail and everyone likes them.

Tree - the last couple years I haven't had one because I'm on pet jobs most of December but when I do, it's usually mid-December because I get a real one and a few weeks is about all I get before the needles are all over my floor.
Elaine
eoconnell

I usually put a small tree by December 1st...it's such a busy month for this family we have so many birthdays (6) and then the family Christmas party and school activities. I like to get the decorations done early.
terrie

Do you have a big family gathering for Christmas?

We used to go to my in-laws on Christmas morning, then to my folks' for lunch and the afternoon. Since my daughter got married, she wanted us to try doing all the holidays together, so I started hosting and inviting my in-laws, as well as my family. My in-laws won't come on Christmas, but I still host my family. My daughter and her husband show up for Christmas Eve at my folks' (my in-laws go to that, as there aren't supposed to be any presents), then spend Christmas at home and with her husband's family.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

PreviousNext

Return to It's Coming Crop--October 16-19, 2019