Something New: Dec 25-31

Dispel the Monday blues with this Monday morning to Sunday night challenge.

Moderator: Ellie

Golda recently challenged us to dig out and use something we've had a while. For my challenge this week, as we sit on the cusp of a new year, my challenge is to use something new!
So... if you just got some new stamps, tools, embellies, etc.... or have some in your stash for a while but just haven't used 'em, now is your chance!

My new items is a fun digi called "Coffee Hero" from a company named Crafting Desert Diva. I won a few digis from them in a recent FB challenge, and this is one of the sets that I picked. Don't you love him?
I created the city scene with a compilations of images I found via google and the bat symbol is made from vellum.
The "But First, Coffee" sentiment is a free digi from here http://www.thechildatheartblog.com/wp-c ... Coffee.jpg.

I hope you can find some time this busy time of the year to play along. On New Years Day I'll select a winner (actually, Mr. Random will do the selecting, I'll provide the little prize.) So... have fun trying out one of those new items!

Participants:
1. Golda
2. Linda Jo
3. Trudi
Last edited by MrsAsperin-Kathy on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Your card is wonderful! That is an adorable image.

I'm assuming your challenge is to use something new. If so, I'm excited, as I got a couple stamp sets I can't wait to try out.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Golda wrote:Your card is wonderful! That is an adorable image.

I'm assuming your challenge is to use something new. If so, I'm excited, as I got a couple stamp sets I can't wait to try out.

Um... yes, Golda. I forgot to note that in the posting. Too much hot chocolate and Schnapps tonight! I'll go and add that!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

What a fun image an what a great card Kathy! The background is fabulous and I love the batman spotlight. Well done! I'm gone all week but do have a crop on Friday so will definitely use one of my new doggie images I got.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!
Elaine
eoconnell

Kathy, did you do a cut out for the Batman symbol, or is it inked? That is a great piece, no matter how you did it. It really does look like the light shining in the sky. You have to figure Gotham ALWAYS has cloudy skies, or it wouldn't show up so well, each time they use it. Not a fun place to live: evil penguins, scarey jokesters, cat burglars that scratch. :( Glad we live in the real world. :)
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Great idea Kathy!!!! I was going to do the same thing for wednesday challenge. But never fear. I have other ideas.Love your digi card!!!!
Linda Jo

Well done Kathy...great background for a great image....

I didn't get craft items for Christmas but I got some fantastic Gift Cards...
Not planning to go out at this time I got this head cold sinus infection and so on
for about almost a week so I'm laying low for now.
terrie

Golda wrote:Kathy, did you do a cut out for the Batman symbol, or is it inked? That is a great piece, no matter how you did it. It really does look like the light shining in the sky. You have to figure Gotham ALWAYS has cloudy skies, or it wouldn't show up so well, each time they use it. Not a fun place to live: evil penguins, scarey jokesters, cat burglars that scratch. :( Glad we live in the real world. :)

Golda, I totally agree. Gotham was a dreary and evil place!

I did cut the Batman symbol and spotlight from vellum. Took a little time but I ended up with a fairly simple process. I cut a small oval from vellum, sketched and cut the symbol with an exacto knife. Then sketched a cone shape on the vellum, attached the oval with the cutout on top (with just a small smudge of adhesive since it shows through.) Also, since I didn't want the adhesive to show, I used the exacto knife to cut around the one skyscraper and slid the spotlight cone behind it. Then taped that vellum cone to the back of the scene. Also decided to position the spotlight point behind Batmans head so that it could be attached without the adhesive showing.)
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

MrsAsperin-Kathy wrote:
Golda wrote:Kathy, did you do a cut out for the Batman symbol, or is it inked? That is a great piece, no matter how you did it. It really does look like the light shining in the sky. You have to figure Gotham ALWAYS has cloudy skies, or it wouldn't show up so well, each time they use it. Not a fun place to live: evil penguins, scarey jokesters, cat burglars that scratch. :( Glad we live in the real world. :)

Golda, I totally agree. Gotham was a dreary and evil place!

I did cut the Batman symbol and spotlight from vellum. Took a little time but I ended up with a fairly simple process. I cut a small oval from vellum, sketched and cut the symbol with an exacto knife. Then sketched a cone shape on the vellum, attached the oval with the cutout on top (with just a small smudge of adhesive since it shows through.) Also, since I didn't want the adhesive to show, I used the exacto knife to cut around the one skyscraper and slid the spotlight cone behind it. Then taped that vellum cone to the back of the scene. Also decided to position the spotlight point behind Batmans head so that it could be attached without the adhesive showing.)

Wow! A lot of work, but it is so very cool! I am amazed at the detail you get with an exacto knife. I usually wind up with cut digits, blood on everything, more rips and wrong areas than what I was after. Oh well. My husband doesn't like for me to use the sharp kitchen knives too frequently, either. :lol:
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

12-26-17 WCC New (297x400).jpg
12-26-17 WCC New (297x400).jpg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 140 times

My daughter got this goat stamp set for me for Christmas. She said, "I can't figure out why my mom would want a goat set." Then, I started reading the hilarious sentiments. I have an uncle that loves goats, too. This is his birthday card, which I did get made and in the mailbox after work. Fortunately, only had to work a few hours today.

I think the set is hilarious. I'll probably give a few more goat cards out this year, too.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Next

Return to Your Monday Pick-me-up!