Think Outside the Lines

An open ended midweek challenge to give you a little bump to get through the rest of the week! Begins on Wednesday mornings.

Moderator: eoconnell

Golda, I agree with Kathy-the flower & leaf look really nice and can't quite see the butterflies. Good job though.
Elaine
eoconnell

What's sad is that, that is pretty much what they look like when you've got the card held closed and right in front of you. The light pink was just too light. They were really difficult to try and color with a light right over them. :roll: I know I'm getting old, but that is ridiculous.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Golda, I love the rose. I think you did a beautiful job on it! I can't see the butterflies either, but if you consider the butterfly as the focal point, you really don't need more. It looks wonderful with what you have.
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Facebook: Paintbrushbrown
Paintbrushbrown

I think Mom meant if you use the rose as the focal point...
I'd agree--I think the butterflies look lovely as they are--a nice bordered accent to the beautiful rose. I wouldn't have colored the butterflies at all. Just stamped them.
It is lovely, Golda!
Whispers

Yes, I meant rose. You have heard of butterflies in your tummy? I have them in my brain! Only flutters...that is all I have...flutters!
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

Marilyn, I knew what you meant! Thank you all for the kind words. Most of my little teardrop Memento ink pads are dying, so I've been replacing some of them with a different kind of ink. I'll have to look for a light pink, but not as light as the one I used to stamp the butterflies. I have a dark pink.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

I found this on Pintrest and reminded me of this challenge. She certainly makes watercoloring look easy! The results are so pretty.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/221520875399032281/
Elaine
eoconnell

Thanks for sharing this tutorial, Elaine. One addendum: she says to use hot pressed water color paper. If you only have cold pressed paper you can turn it over and use the back which is smoother.
Ellie

Another thought to add to the watercolor paper thing...I use cold pressed paper 140# taking advantage of any sale that is going on. I have never had a problem with stamping one it unless I tried to use a very detailed stamp. Keep in mind, though, when you are coloring, the more open the stamp, the more area you have to work. I tend to avoid the detailed stamps for the coloring in factor and adding in the quality of the stamped image, it just all works for me!

I know not many tried this, but please do play with it. You don't have to show us what you do, but keep in mind...I started at the beginning, too. I don't criticize and will only offer real help if you ask for it. It does take your coloring to a whole different level. It is a case of a little knowledge and understanding and some practice time applied will produce results you will certainly notice.
Marilyn Brown
Artist
Paintbrushbrown

Previous

Return to "Hump Day" Bump