What's old is new again- Dec 23-29

An open ended midweek challenge to give you a little bump to get through the rest of the week! Begins on Wednesday mornings.

Moderator: eoconnell

Since this is a busy week for many of us, I am posting a little early to give you a bit of extra time to play along. And, since I know that you'll soon have lots of items destined for the trash... my challenge is to rescue that gorgeous scrap of gift wrapping that is not crumpled, packaging from toys and gadgets, images or sentiments from Christmas cards, and even 2015 calendars!

Yep! Most of you know that I love to recycle items! So… my challenge is to make a card that uses something that might have otherwise been discarded.

Here are my sample cards- The first is made from a pet calendar photo, with knotted yarn from the box of craft goodies that my mom left for me that I just couldn't discard (after all, my sweet mom had made those knots!): Image

The second includes a cute monkey image cut from a small box that held candy. The puffy heart covers the price. The pieced together sentiment also allowed me to use some of those odd alphabet stickers that always seem to be left after scrapbooking.

So... I challenge you to look at your discards differently, imagining their potential!
Last edited by MrsAsperin-Kathy on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Great challenge Kathy! I love to reuse or repurpose things!
Trudeenr

Kathy, very clever ideas! Thank you for hosting.
Elaine
eoconnell

Very nice Kathy and perfect for this time of the year....
My desk is full of leftovers.....lol
terrie

How fun! Love your examples, Kathy. You are a great saver and wonderful repurposer!
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

I hear you, Kathy. The other night we brought home one of those fast food cardboard carriers for drinks. I stood in front of our recycling bin for the longest time trying to think of something crafty for it. (I came up blank but it will be recycled.) You can bet I will have my eyes open on Christmas Day for anything reusable. Thanks for a fun challenge.
Ellie

I reused the side of a tissue box....most of the paper that I used was on the craft table I used nothing new
even the ribbon I had it from another card that the ribbon didn't match very well...the polka dot is from a stationary paper that i used part of it inside a card....
Sorry that is somewhat shaddy and blurry....I need to invest in a new light.
Attachments
12 23 2015 Old to New Challenge   IMG_20151223_160433513_HDR.jpg
12 23 2015 Old to New Challenge IMG_20151223_160433513_HDR.jpg (167.15 KiB) Viewed 930 times
12 23 2015 Tissue box.jpg
12 23 2015 Tissue box.jpg (157.08 KiB) Viewed 930 times
terrie

Terrie, I have never seen that tissue box... and am so glad that your rescued it from the trash. What a beautiful bird! And the way you turned him into the focal point of your card is wonderful. And your salvaged ribbon adds a nice touch of bling! Great upcycling, dear paper artist!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Beautiful work Terrie! I love how you upcycle Kleenex boxes all the time. It's great that everything else was already out and in use, too.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Great job Terrie! Gorgeous box of Kleenex!
Elaine
eoconnell

Next

Return to "Hump Day" Bump