Bleached Out Images

An open ended midweek challenge to give you a little bump to get through the rest of the week! Begins on Wednesday mornings.

Moderator: eoconnell

I decided to try a "new to me" technique for this week's Wednesday challenge. I highly encourage you to watch the tutorial video. I watched it, listened to the directions, and failed to follow one of them. Beate said to test the bleach on a scrap of your paper. I didn't do that because I was just a little over-confident. I decided to use very heavy kraft paper without testing it first. See the first photo to see how it DID NOT BLEACH! My second attempt was on a lighter weight kraft paper and it bleached right out. Every paper will react differently. Here's another tip: Use a very small paintbrush so you don't go outside of the embossing lines.

With this technique you have the option of coloring the image after the bleach dries. My paper bleached to such a bright gold that I didn't think coloring the image was a good idea. I really liked the color combo so I stuck with it. I would love to see one that has been colored. (hint, hint) Here is a link to the video on Splitcoast Stampers:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resou ... ut_images/

Have fun with this; I did!
Attachments
IMG_2613.jpg
Heavy Paper Did Not Bleach Out
IMG_2613.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
IMG_2614.jpg
Bleached Image Challenge
IMG_2614.jpg (140.44 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Ellie

Ellie, your card is striking! I wouldn't have believed kraft brown could hold so vibrant yellow in it's depths!.
I totally understand the need to test the paper with bleach first... but for a different reason. I once did this on a dark green paper and it bleached out an odd shade of pastel lavender. Not at all the look I had in mind!
I am out of town until the weekend. Hope to try this out when I return.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Ellie, what a great card! It's hard to believe it's just bleach and not colored in. Your little polka dots match perfectly too! Thanks for the challenge and for hosting this week!
Elaine
eoconnell

What a cool look you got. It looks perfect that way. Great card Ellie!
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Maybe I'll change into my jammies and give this a try.
Elaine
eoconnell

The best laid plans...I put my paint clothes on so I wouldn't bleach out what I had on, went to get the bleach and realized I never brought it with me to the new place. Thought maybe I had a bleach pen. Naw. Well, now that I have my paint clothes on, guess I'll get started on painting my countertops instead.
Elaine
eoconnell

Elaine, you are so funny! Love that you took care of that paint clothes wearing situation!

Was fun to try my hand at this technique again. Plus loved using one of my Denami stamps. The bleach work is a little spotchy, but I kinda like the results. I mounted it on tan parchment paper to match the bleached color... although that doesn't show up in the photo very well.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Oh, what a fun one, Kathy!

Elaine, I'm sorry you no longer have your bleach, but glad you made good use out of having the paint clothes on. :)
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Nice work, Kathy! I like the layout you created with your images.
Ellie

Kathy, great job! Did that red really bleach down to white? I never would have guessed that.

Still working on my counters but I have 3 colors and a base coat on so far. I have to go get some tan paint tomorrow because they are too orangy for me. Glad to be working on it though.
Elaine
eoconnell

Next

Return to "Hump Day" Bump