June 22-28: Step out of your comfort zone!

An open ended midweek challenge to give you a little bump to get through the rest of the week! Begins on Wednesday mornings.

Moderator: eoconnell

If you are like me you have a preferred or “default” style of stamping. My mid-week challenge is to make a card that is outside of your comfort zone.

I prefer an organized look, usually with very detailed cutting or coloring. I also tend to make more cards that are cutesy or floral. So… a collage-style masculine card is waaaayyyy out of my comfort zone! It was kind of fun though. Especially since I did get to use a great unicorn image that I cut from a vintage postcard (Yep… that upcycling addiction of mine made me do it!!)

Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Interesting challenge, Kathy. It will be fun to see how far people are willing to stretch. I'm not sure I will get to play. We have grandkids for two days and then I have to get ready to head out of town next week. I'm going to a railroad convention in Dallas with Larry. I'm looking forward to spending a day with a cousin I haven't seen for 30 years. So, I won't be crafting next week but I will be looking at what you all are doing.
Ellie

Hmmm. Maybe your challenge could be making a card WITH your grandkids help? Just think of the clouds of glitter you could create!
Sounds like you have a fun filled week ahead of you. Enjoy the time with family and friends.
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

I don't have a clue what my "preferred style" would be as I try to do different things, frequently. :? Hmmm, maybe just loaded with stuff, as I tend to like less clutter. I'll see what I can come up with. :?
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Hmmm. You raise a good question, Golda. So... if you aren't sure of your preferred style, how about you find a card in a style that you've never made... or considered making... and give it a try. That would be another example of stepping out of your comfort zone!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Kathy, fun challenge! I'm not going to be able to play before Sunday; out on another pet job. Thank you for hosting!
Elaine
eoconnell

Okay, this one was definitely challenging. So, this was my first attempt:
6-25-16 WCC Style 1 (330x400).jpg
6-25-16 WCC Style 1 (330x400).jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

I used 3 different textures, or embossing folders, and layered, a lot. I showed it to my husband and he said it still looked like a "me" card. My son said it looked out of my style in that it only had 3 colors and I normally use a lot more. So, basically a fail on "out of my style".
When I asked my husband what he thought would be out of my style, he just starts laughing and I finally get that if I made a card that instead of saying "Get Well", says, "I hope you die." It would be out of my style. Well, of course! I couldn't give that to anyone. :roll: Then, he brought up caskets, and I thought of a great idea: a casket on the bottom part that is brown, with a small green grass layer, then a flower on top that says, "I'm glad you're still on the right side of the dirt." However, when I started thinking of people I might be able to give it to, they would definitely have to have the right sense of humor, I decided the one I might have given it to, has had bad health the past couple of years, and so it wouldn't be appropriate, at all. My son suggested buying a card would definitely be out of my style. Well, of course. :roll: Then he suggested, just a plain hand written one. I tried that, but I couldn't get it centered, so I just went with plain and simple on the front: (the color of the crayon is pretty close to the background paper in real life)
6-26-16 WCC Style 2 Out (400x300).jpg
6-26-16 WCC Style 2 Out (400x300).jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

With a lot of decoration inside, which is totally not like me:
6-26-16 Style 2 In (329x400).jpg
6-26-16 Style 2 In (329x400).jpg (82.93 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

When I showed it to my husband, he just shrugs and says it still looks like "me". :?

Oh well, I tried.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Golda... you get a hip hip hooray for the three cards you made in trying to find your style! And, I agree with your hubby... I can't imagine you ever being rude or impolite. But... I'm glad that you didn't make a card that you couldn't comfortably send to anyone!

Also, I think it is just fine that you don't appear to have a preferred style. Maybe for some of us stamping is like spiritual gifts? Basically, it is not only okay, it is preferred, if a person can function within ANY of the gifts! So... perhaps you could consider that you are just well balanced! (I do know that you are a blessing to many people!)

Thanks for stepping out of your comfort zone... and also asking your hubby and son for input. (If I asked my hubby that question I think that he would give me the most blank stare that was ever seen in human history!!)
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

I love the Shabby Chic type cards but have a hard time putting them together! So, here's an attempt at Shabby Chic using colors I don't normally like (mauve, moss, and tan)!

IMG_5892.JPG
IMG_5892.JPG (49.44 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Trudeenr

Great job on it, Trudi!
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

Next

Return to "Hump Day" Bump