Unexpected Color

An open ended midweek challenge to give you a little bump to get through the rest of the week! Begins on Wednesday mornings.

Moderator: eoconnell

I just took an online class from the Altenew Academy. It was a good class and it only cost $7 and change-well worth it. One of the classes was Unexpected Color. This was a great exercise in stepping out of the box and I ended up loving a card that I thought I would hate.

The challenge is to use colors that break the rules. Put colors together that really don't "go together". Let me be clear about this. This is not a challenge to use colors you don't normally use because you don't like them. This means make a card with a color combo that breaks the rules of color coordination. The instructor used pink and orange with a touch of green. I went with aqua, red and lime green. Be brave!!!! Once I got over the initial feeling of ewwww, I grew to like the combo and had fun making the card. I even got so brave as to highlight the flowers in black and white instead of the natural shades of red that I should have used. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Attachments
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3750.jpg (132.11 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Ellie

Fun Ellie! Love your card too. Thanks for hosting.
Elaine
eoconnell

Ellie, THIS is a challenge! And your card is lovely. I like how you paired your bright and bold bloom with the delicate white die cut behind the sentiment (looks like Battenberg lace!) That is unexpected, too. But it works!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Hmmmm, this one is definitely going to take some thought. I do like your card and those unusually shaded flowers.
Golda
GoldaPete.WordPress.com
Golda

It was a challenge for me too but I guess that's the definition of the word challenge. If anyone is interested, I have posted a card for all six lessons of the class on my blog.
Ellie

When I was reading your post of thought of this color combo and putting it on a card I didn't think it would work but to my surprise it did...the orange brought the aqua color alive I added shades of more aqua (light and dark) with the flowers also added green rhinestones on the butterfly and flowers....I think it's very Springy.
Attachments
20170330_130423.jpg
20170330_130423.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
terrie

Terrie, you're right; it does work! It is so cheerful, too. Love the color combo and the fun font. Well done, my friend!
Ellie

What a great card Terrie! Your teal pops on the orange. I like all your pretty details.
Elaine
eoconnell

Terri, I would have never envisioned those colors together either. But they look amazing. So bright and refreshing!
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

My "unexpected color "combo is pretty tame... but I like the results. I chose Army Green and Deep Purple (with a touch of magenta and pink). I also decided to have a simple, non-cluttered background so that the little flutterbys would stand out.
BTW- The sweet digi image is from Tiddlyinks. And... it's free! (Get it here- http://www.tiddlyinks.com/awww-thanks/)
And the tutorial for the fold is here- http://qbeesquest.blogspot.com/2013/05/ ... -card.html

Imagefree upload imageImagefree upload image

Had so much fun with this challenge, and the color combo and tri-fold technique, that I made a second card.
(The House Mouse image was from a swap here years ago. I think it came from Elaine?) The gold medallion seal of the little hummingbird was upcycled from a greeting card. Loved how it adds a bit more bling to the card!

Imageupload picturesImagegif image hosting
Kathy
MrsAsperin-Kathy

Next

Return to "Hump Day" Bump